Adjunct Professor, Organic
Analytical Instruments Supervisor
office: CSL 233/229A
My research interests are in developing new synthetic technologies leading to biologically active natural and unnatural products. Major programs include the synthesis of biologically active enamides (styrylamides) isolated from marine and microorganisms, and the development of methods leading to the enantioselective synthesis of beta-amino alcohols.
- Montalvo-Gonzalez R, Chavez D, Aguirre G, et al., Asymmetric Transfer Hydrogenation of Ketones in Aqueous Solution Catalyzed by Rhodium(III) Complexes with C-2-Symmetric Fluorene-Ligands Containing Chiral (1R,2R)-Cyclohexane-1,2-diamine J. Brazilian Chem. Soc. 2010, 21 431-435.
- Somanathan R, Flores-Lopez LZ, Montalvo-Gonzalez R, et al., Enantioselective Addition of Organozinc to Aldehydes and Ketones Catalyzed by Immobilized Chiral Ligands Mini-reviews Org. Chem. 2010, 7 10-22.
- Kovacic P, Somanathan R, Novel, unifying mechanism for mescaline in the central nervous system Electrochemistry, catechol redox metabolite, receptor, cell signaling and structure activity relationships Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity 2009, 2 181-190.
- Montalvo-Gonzalez R, Chavez D, Aguirre G, et al., Synthesis of Chiral Aromatic Alcohols: Use of New C2-Symmetric RhIIICp*, RuII(cymene), or RuII(benzene) Complexes Containing Chiral Diaminocyclohexane Ligand as Asymmetric Transfer Hydrogenation Catalyst Synth. Commun. 2009, 39 2737-2746.
- Alonso-Nunez G, Huirache-Acuna R, Paraguay-Delgado F, et al., Synthesis and Characterization of Hexamethylenediammonium Thiometallates as Precursors of MoS2 and WS2 Catalysts: In situ Activation During HDS of DBT Catalysis Lett. 2009, 130 318-326.
- Cortez NA, Aguirre G, Parra-Hake M, et al., New heterogenized C-2-symmetric bis(sulfonamide)-cyclohexane-1,2-diamine-(RhCp)-Cp-III* complexes and their application in the asymmetric transfer hydrogenation (ATH) of ketones in water Tet. Lett. 2009, 50 2228-2231.
- Somanathan R, Cortez NA, Parra-Hake M, et al., Immobilized Chiral Metal Catalysts for Enantioselective Hydrogenation of Ketones Mini-reviews Org. Chem. 2008, 5 313-322.
- Cortez NA, Aguirre G, Parra-Hake M, et al., Ruthenium(II) and rhodium(III) catalyzed asymmetric transfer hydrogenation (ATH) of acetophenone in isopropanol and in aqueous sodium formate using new chiral substituted aromatic monosulfonamide ligands derived from (1R,2R)-diaminocyclohexane Tet.-Asymmetry 2008, 19 1304-1309.
- Flores-Lopez LZ, Iglesias AL, Gama A, et al., Lewis acid-Lewis base bifunctional Schiff base-titanium, vanadium catalysis for enantioselective cyanosilylation of benzaldehyde and oxidation of sulfides to chiral sulfoxides J. Mexican Chem. Soc. 2007, 51 175-180.
- Ravikumar VT, Kumar RK, Olsen P, et al., UnyLinker: An efficient and scaleable synthesis of oligonucleotides utilizing a universal linker molecule: A novel approach to enhance the purity of drugs Org. Process Research Development 2008, 12 399-410.
- Sanchez LG, Somanathan R, Hellberg LH, et al., Synthesis of Z-N-alkenylformamides Synth. Commun. 2008, 38 45-53.
- Sanchez LG, Castillo EN, Maldonado H, et al., Stereoselective synthesis of rubrenoic and nor-rubrenoic acids Synth. Commun. 2008, 38 54-71.
- Cortez NA, Aguirre G, Parra-Hake M, et al., Water-soluble chiral monosulfonamide-cyclohexane-1,2-diamine-RhCp* complex and its application in the asymmetric transfer hydrogenation (ATH) of ketones Tet. Lett. 2007, 48 4335-4338.