Research in the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry
Please see the Faculty Directory for more information on each faculty member's research focus and current publications.
Organic Chemistry at SDSU
The study of organic chemistry at SDSU spans the development of new methodologies, synthesis of organometallic and organoboron compounds, and combinatorial chemistry. Research groups in this area at SDSU are listed below.
- Jeffrey Gustafson: Asymmetric catalysis, medicinal chemistry, chemical biology
- Byron Purse: unnatural nucleosides, fluorescent probes, medicinal chemistry, self-assembly, molecular recognition
- B. Mikael Bergdahl: asymmetric total synthesis of natural products, organometallic chemistry, bioorganic chemistry and chiral synthesis with the emphasis on catalysis and asymmetric induction.
- Thomas Cole: boron/organometallic chemistry; computational organic chemistry.
- Douglas Grotjahn: organometallics and bioinorganic chemistry.
- Ratnasamy Somanathan: bioorganic synthetic chemistry; macrocyclic synthesis.